Neurology and Stroke Unit
Head ofPaolo Profice
The Neurology Operational Unit deals with patients who have neurological disorders such as acute and chronic cerebrovascular diseases, movement disorders (Parkinson’s Disease and Parkinsonism, tremors and other involuntary movements), neuromuscular disorders and epilepsy. There is a neurophysiological service, for outpatients as well, where electroencephalograms (EEG), electromyography (EMG) and laser evoked potentials (LEPs) are available.
ServicesThe Neurology and Stroke Unit department works in close collaboration with the neurosurgery and rehabilitation departments in order to provide patients with neurological disorders, multidisciplinary treatments in order to take on patients with acute diseases and follow them even until the rehabilitative phase, if necessary. A highly specialized team is able to guide patients, through a thorough diagnosis, toward modern and efficient therapeutic strategies.
Diseases Treated and Services
- Acute cerebrovascular diseases
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Movement disorders
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Neurophysiopathology services with electromyography, motor nerve and sensory nerve conduction velocity, repetitive nerve stimulation test, study of the F and H responses, Blink reflex, Somatosensory evoked potentials, single fiber electromyography
Outpatient ServicesThe Neurology Operational Unit provides the following outpatient services:
- Neurology department for the diagnosis and treatment of headaches, epilepsy, cerebrovascular diseases, neuromuscular disorders (of peripheral nerves and muscles)
- Outpatient department that deals with movement disorders for the diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson’s Disease and Parkinsonism, involuntary movements (ticks, tremors, choreiform syndrome etc.)
- Neurophysiopatholoy Outpatient department where electromyography, motor and sensory neurographs, blink reflexes and other reflex responses, somatosensory evoked potentials, electroencephalogram